Pages

Tuesday 17 January 2017

Concentration 3

Cultural: I think this piece really connects well with my concentration which is plaster bowls. I like it because it is conventionally unconventional. It doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of the concentration because the concept of the bowl is redefined as I flipped it upside-down. With that said though, I do think that it is tied together stylistically as I used the same sort of method where I coat a balloon on the outside with plaster. Overall I think it is a solid addition to my concentration
Problem solving: I didn't run into a ton of challenges that were unexpected when it came to this piece. Of course, like with all plaster forms, some cracked and broke but I was anticipating that. However, one thing that I run into a lot is that parts of my bowls always break. And as you can see here a large piece broke off of the side. But I didn't try to glue it back on because I feel like it helps you see the light better. Also something that I struggled with was the string. I was almost going to leave it as just a plain thin string on its own but I thought it looked too empty so I tried this friendship bracelet knot that I used to do as a kid but the pattern kept on getting messed up. So instead I took string and braided a line and repeated that three times until I had three braided chains. And then I braided those together so I had a texture but it wasnt overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment