Pages

Monday 13 May 2013

2012-2013 Science Favorites

This year in science we have covered many units. They have been from Earth layers, to flower biology, to primates. I have had so many favorite things that I learned and did. But my favorite unit was the flower biology and germination. When we learned about flowers, we learned how they become pollinated and form new seeds. I thought that this was very interesting because some flowers can self pollinate. I also liked this unit because we got to open up flowers and learn all of the parts. I liked learning about what each part of the plant does and how it works together.

Another unit I enjoyed this year was the primates. Each person learned about one kind of primate and did a project on it. I did my project on the Chimpanzee. I have loved Chimpanzee every since I was 5, so I was very happy when I was able to get that one. I also loved Jane Goodall. I think she is very interesting and made many useful observations. I liked how everyone only learned about their own primate because everyone's projects were different and it wasn't like we were just hearing the same information. Also with the Chimpanzees, I liked learning about what makes them special and makes them different from all of the other primates.

One project that I enjoyed, was the rock cycle project. I liked how the project couldn't just be a poster or a power point. This way all of the projects were more creative and individual. It was more fun making the project and watching the projects. Also it brought out different types of creativity from different people. I made a video of me pretending to teach a class about the rock cycle and I drew a diagram. Other people made books, pretended they were scientists, etc... I wish that there were more projects like that.

My favorite field trip we went on was the zoo. I liked it because we got to be with people that had also studied the same primate and it was fun to compare data. Also, we got to be with another group studying a different primate. I thought it was fun seeing the different primate and learning about it. It was also real[y nice to be at the zoo and get to see animals other than my primate. Even though there wasn't much time to see them, we could see them as we were walking to the primates. And lastly, I liked seeing the baboons. There were so many! It was crazy. There must have been 30+ baboons. There was also this one baboon that kept rocks in its cheek pouches and it looked pretty cool. I have really enjoyed this year's science class and I can't wait until next years!

No comments:

Post a Comment